PROFESSIONAL VITAE OF DAVID W. HIERS
After graduation from Boston University, School of Law, Mr. Hiers spent four years on active duty with the United States Army, Captain, JAGC, 1983-1987, practicing primarily as a trial counsel prosecuting felonies for the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Armored Division, while stationed in Hanau and Gelnhausen, Federal Republic of Germany.
Thereafter, he spent 15 years as insurance defense counsel with Bell, Schuster, Wheeler & Hiers, in Pensacola, Florida, defending a wide variety of cases, including personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, products liability, maritime law, premises liability, automobile accidents, construction, eminent domain and employment law in both state and federal courts throughout the Florida panhandle. He also litigated insurance coverage cases, ERISA and other contract cases.
He opened his current practice of DAVIDSON & HIERS, P.A., in October 2002, where he continued his defense practice while developing his mediation practice. He now devotes 100% of his practice to mediation and has conducted over 3,000 mediations.
- Juris Doctorate, Boston University, School of Law, 1982
- Bachelor of Arts, Hobart College, 1979
- Licensed to practice law in Florida (1988)
- Licensed to practice law in Connecticut (1982)
- Court of Appeals for The Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
- All State Courts in Florida
- Certified Circuit Civil Mediator by the Florida Supreme Court (1998)
- Conducted over 3,000 mediations
- Taught numerous continuing legal education courses on mediation to both lawyers and mediator
- Florida-trained Arbitrator
2002 – Present DAVIDSON & HIERS, P.A.
1987 – 2002 Bell, Schuster, Wheeler & Hiers, P.A.
1983 – 1987 Captain, JAGC
United States Army, 3rd Armored Division
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- A Behind the Scenes Look at Mediation; Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association; October 12, 2018
- Mediation – Start to Finish: A Seminar for Litigators and Mediators;
Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association; December 2, 2016
- Mediation in the Employment Setting; Greater Pensacola, SHRM; May 11,
- Ethics & Mediation; Northwest Florida Association for Women Lawyers; June 26, 2012
- The Mediation Rules Have Changed! The Summation; Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association; November 2011
- Secrets for a Successful Mediation – A Seminar for Both Litigators and Mediators; Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association; September 30, 2011
- Maximizing Mediation Efficiently & Ethically: the Basics and Beyond; Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association; May 22, 2009
- Mediation; Inns of Court Presentation; March 19, 2009
- A Mediator’s Guide to Handling Surprises; Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association; August 13, 2006
- Mediated Negotiations: Ethical Considerations for Litigators and Mediators in Circuit Civil Mediations (Speaker); Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association; July 15, 2005
- How to Ensure a Successful Mediation; Escambia-Santa Rosa Young Lawyers Association; October 2004